Diamond Pet Foods has expanded a recall, announced April 6 for certain batches of its Diamond Natural Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food, to include one production run and four production codes of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light formula dry dog food.
One bag of the product has tested positive for Salmonella, and the company says the recall of the four production codes is a precautionary measure.
No dog illnesses have been reported.
The latest recall is for:
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food in 35 lb. bags with the production code CLF0102B31XCW and best-by date 27/JAN/2013 and 28/JAN/2013; and production code CLF0102B32XWR and best-by date 28/JAN/2013
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food in 6 lb. bags with the production code CLF0102B3XALW and best-by date 28/JAN/2013
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food was distributed in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia, and may have been further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels.
Diamond Pet Foods says it is working directly with distributors and retailers who carry these products to remove them from the supply chain.
Consumers who purchased the recalled Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food should discard the product.
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If pets have consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, a veterinarian should be contacted.
Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer.
Diamond Pet Foods earlier recall included:
- Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 6 lb. DLR0101D3XALW Best Before 04 Jan 2013
- Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 20 lb. DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013
- Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40 lb. DLR0101C31XMF Best Before 03 Jan 2013
- Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40 lb. DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013
- Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40 lb. DLR0101D32XMS Best Before 04 Jan 2013
On April 8, Diamond Pet Foods temporarily suspended delivery of all products made at its Gaston, S.C., plant.